Address: Isabel la Católica Street corner Emiliano Tejera Street, Colonial City of santo Domingo This was one of the first houses made of stone in the New World and surely the first house with two stories.
It gets its name from its façade that has the design of a cord in it. The style of the house is Elizabethan gothic and in the garden you can see some of the original brick arches.
The Virgin of La Rosario is greater and it holds the apostles Peter and Paul just like the image of the Dominican order, saints Peter of Varona and Thomas de Aquino.
Another chapel is dedicated to the Virgin of Altagracia in gothic Spanish style.
Construction began in 1510 with the arrival of the order of Dominican Nuns in the city of Santo Domingo and before it was finished, the monks lived it in.
They slept on wooden tables with a bit of hay on them; among them was Brother Anton Montesinos.
It was first Hospital in the New World and named it the Hospital of San Nicolas.
In 1538 the first university in the New World was built in this convent.
The Columbus Lighthouse, has become today one of the main attractions of the city and the pride of the whole continent.
Address: Las Damas Street, Colonial City of Santo Domingo Phone: (809) 686-0222Hours: am – pm Ozama Fortress The Ozama Fortress also forms part of Santo Domingo’s Colonial Zone.
This was built between 15 started by Rodrigo Gil de Liendo and finished with the help of Carlos V. The bell tower was built in 163 Address: Padre Billini Street, Colonial City of Santo Domingo Regina Agelorum in Latin means “ Queen of Angels” originally the church was named Saint Catalina of Sienna.
In 1586 it was greatly deteriorated by Sir Francis Drake along with hurricanes in 16. This was the second convent of nuns in the Dominican Republic founded by the order of Dominicans, today however is has been replaced by the order of the Mercedaria nuns.
From the highest point of the Fortress the flags of Spain, France, England, Haiti and the United States once flew.